It is not how much you drink, it is what happens when you drink, however typical signs of Alcohol Dependance include:
- relief drinking in the morning
- drinking more to achieve the same effect or to feel 'normal'
- not being able to stop drinking once you start
- not knowing what will happen when you drink
- having recurring thoughts of alcohol or being 'pre-occupied' with alcohol during periods of not drinking
- relapsing into drinking following periods of abstinence
Being addicted to a substance or being pre-occupied can be a worrying time, and it is best to talk to your G.P. or to a trained addiction counsellor to access the necessary support.
If you stop drinking suddenly after drinking daily it may be dangerous unless you get the correct support.